The 2018 Warren Alpert Foundation Prize has been awarded to five scientists for transformative discoveries in the fields of genetics, physiology, pulmonology and pharmacology that have led to the development of life-altering precision-targeted treatments for the devastating multiorgan disease cystic fibrosis (CF).
The 2018 Warren Alpert Foundation Prize recipients are:
• Francis Collins, Director, National Institutes of Health
• Paul Negulescu, Senior Vice President for Research, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
• Bonnie Ramsey, Vice Chair and Endowed Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine; Director, Center for Clinical and Translational Research, Seattle Children’s Research Institute
• Lap-Chee Tsui, Founding President, The Academy of Sciences of Hong Kong; University Professor Emeritus, University of Toronto
• Michael Welsh, Professor of Internal Medicine—Pulmonary, Critical Care and Occupational Medicine, University of Iowa